25 May 363: Create an EXPERIENCE LIST
In this MICRO-episode… we’re digging into the strategy of creating what we call, an “EXPERIENCE LIST.” This is for EVERYBODY… but especially with those folks who wrestle with writing down their dreams and goals.
And trust me… that’s a LOT of people. Yes… we ALL know that writing down our goals is important and the studies have shown that. BUT… for a lot of people… that feels intimidating and/or overwhelming. Plus, it can cause an inner-wrestling match over whether something qualifies as a “big dream” or an “important goal” or whether it’s as cool as someone else’s dream or a “SMART goal.”
Well… screw that noise! Nope… we’re going to use a different word to guide us. Yup… we’re going to ask, “What are some EXPERIENCES… (big or small) I’d like to have in my lifetime?” And with that… you’ll create your EXPERIENCE LIST. Oh… and this is a MICRO-episode… because it’s less than 15 minutes!!! So… let’s get to it!
- Speaking of DREAMING with your Significant Other… check out THIS episode with Ana Gabriel Mann and John David Mann and “LOVE IS A PRACTICE: https://mitchmatthews.com/361/
- Let’s talk about “Setting Goals that Stick” here: https://mitchmatthews.com/purpose-driven-goal-setting-set-goals-will-stick/
- Speaking of “Zip-Lining,” check out when Mitch and his team went zipping through the trees of Southern Illinois! Click here
DREAM THINK DO MINUTE BY MINUTE:
- 0:02 What to expect in this “micro” episode
- 1:44 A new adventure that Mitch is getting ready for
- 2:40 Your assignment from today’s episode
- 6:55 How to create dream “categories”
- 9:19 One of Mitch’s favorite quotes
- 11:49 How to start creating a reacher life today
MORE ABOUT THIS EPISODE:
I’m getting ready to take a couple of weeks off for our younger son’s graduation in LA. Melissa and I are heading out to celebrate with him and have some great “experiences” along the way!
Plus, we’ve set some specific time aside to create a NEW “Experience List.”
So I was inspired to share an idea with you!
Recently at an event, someone approached me after my keynote. It was a woman in her mid-thirties. She looked smart, successful and put-together but she quickly admitted she was wrestling with writing down any dreams and goals because she wasn’t sure if her dreams were BIG enough and she wasn’t sure their goals were SMART enough.
She was caught in something I call the “SMART Trap” because she wasn’t sure if the ideas that were coming to her head were actually goals because she didn’t know if they were specific enough… or measurable… or realistic… or… you get the picture.
As a result… she felt stuck. And she was in the “COMPARISON Trap” because she was trying to compare the size and the validity of her dreams to others in the room.
Ever been there? I sure have!
So, instead of her trying to come up with “Dreams” or “goals,” I suggested a different question.
Here’s the question:
What are some “experiences” you would like to have?
I’ve found that “EXPERIENCE” is a lower-pressure word.
So instead of asking about your DREAMS or your GOALS, ask yourself about the kinds of experiences you’d like to have in your lifetime.
Because… experiences matter!
“The purpose of life, after all, is to live it.
To reach out eagerly and without fear
for new and richer experiences.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
STEP 1: Ask… what kind of experiences (big or small) would I like to have?
STEP 2: List at least 10
“I think we should count our age by number of life experiences we’ve had instead of years!”
THINK IN CATEGORIES:
- I’d love to have coffee at a sidewalk cafe in Paris
- I’d like to go white water rafting in Colorado
- I’d like to take my family to Disney
- I’d like to go zip-lining in Illinois.. or Costa Rica!
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT Examples:
- I’d like to learn to cook better
- I’d like to be happier… more often.
- I’d like to be in the moment more.
- I want to really slow down and enjoy a meal 3 times a week
- I want to find two great friends and really treasure them
- I want to cultivate my friendship with X and do small things to really celebrate it
- Lead a team
- See someone on my team thrive
- To celebrate with my team when we win big
- Media – music, movies, and publishing
“People grow through experience
if they meet life honestly and courageously.
This is how character is built.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
CALL TO ACTION:
Create an EXPERIENCE LIST… and just see where it takes you! And hey… share this with a friend! Invite someone to do it with you! And just see where it takes you!
Also… leave a comment and let us know about something you’ve put on YOUR “Experience List!” I can’t wait to hear from YOU!