17 Nov 341: WHAT’S YOUR MISSION – Strategies for Life and Leadership
Dr. Mike Patterson is a lifelong learner dedicated to helping leaders and teams get stuff done! He’s the author of the book, “Mission First, People Always: The Definitive Guide to Balancing People and Performance.”
I can say that Mike is a leader you want to learn from… because he was actually a leader for me when I first entered the corporate world YEARS ago… and his leadership style had a huge impact on me. That’s why I’m so excited to introduce him to YOU! In addition to an impressive pedigree in education,
Mike has also been an officer in the Army; and he’s been a leader in sales, marketing, and training with the corporate world. More recently… he’s teaching doctoral programs AND doing consulting and speaking…
That allows him to work with leaders and teams from many of the world’s top organizations. We’re talking about what it takes to be “Mission Focused” and how we can get there as individuals and as leaders!
Mike’s Website: drmikepatterson.com
Mike’s book: https://www.missionfirstpeoplealwaysbook.com
Mike’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/therealdrmikepatterson
OTHER RELATED EPISODES:
Lindsay Strage: Someone who’s living her MISSION: https://mitchmatthews.com/337
Is being a SPEAKER part of YOUR mission: https://mitchmatthews.com/332
Jess Ekstrom: Someone else who’s LIVING her MISSION: https://mitchmatthews.com/242
MORE ON ARTHUR GUINNESS:
During our conversation, we mention that Mike pointed to the founder of the Guinness Brewery as an example of someone who LIVED true to his MISSION. Here’s a few fun (and inspiring) facts you probably didn’t know!
MORE ON MIKE PATTERSON:
Mike teaches in the doctoral programs at Pepperdine University’s Graduate School of Education and Psychology and California Baptist University.
- Wheaton College on a 4-year Army ROTC scholarship
- While on active duty in Germany, Mike earned a MPA from Troy University.
- A few years into his business career, he earned a MA in organizational leadership with high honors from Biola University.
- Followed by a Certificate in Biblical Studies from Biola’s Talbot School of Theology.
- Then Mike completed his doctoral work at Pepperdine University’s Graduate School of Education and Psychology.
His consulting firm is Ambassador Associates. Their goal is to help clients bridge the gap that sometimes exists between people and performance.
Dr. MIKE PATTERSON MINUTE BY MINUTE:
- 0:02 What to expect today
- 1:20 Conversation starts
- 2:17 How Mitch and Mike met
- 6:23 The importance of “seeing” people
- 9:55 Why your mission truly matters
- 18:27 You are blessed to be a blessing
- 19:42 How to get more clear on your vision
- 24:48 Conflict triggers and how to use them
- 31:09 Help your team (and yourself) staying on mission
- 38:31 What Dr. Mike Patterson wishes he understood sooner
- 40:05 Mitch’s minute
NOW… I want to hear from YOU!
Comment and let me know what stood out to YOU from my convo with Mike.
More importantly… what might be your MISSION for 2022 and beyond?
Here’s some questions to guide you:
- What do you want to see more of in 2022?
- What change do you want to be a part of in 2022?
- What’s a small but significant step you can take towards THAT… today?
Comment and let us know.
What’s YOUR mission for life and/or leadership? And/or why do YOU think it’s important to get clear on your mission? Or… why do you think it’s not? Or… how do YOU get clear on your mission?
What questions do you ask yourself? What questions do you suggest for people to help them get clear on THEIR mission? Let me know your thoughts. I can’t wait to hear from YOU!