06 Oct 336: How to WIN More [In 5 minutes or less]
Our self-talk is key. The questions we ask ourselves… minute by minute… are critical.
How we make decisions (BIG and small) have a huge impact on our lives. In short… if we do it right… we WIN more.
If we do it wrong… we lose more. I don’t know about you… but I want you to WIN more. I bet you’re right there with me! So… today…
I’m going to walk you through a decision-making process that can take you 5 minutes or less… but can make all the difference. It’s a series of some of my favorite coaching questions put into a powerful sequence.
These are questions I love to ask my coaching clients AND when they start to use them… they see results! And… OF COURSE… we have an acronym to help us remember. S.P.E.E.D. That’s it. Better decisions… faster. Winning more. You in? I hope so. Let’s get to this!
PAST EPISODES WE MENTION:
Rock Thomas: “60,000 thoughts a day!” https://mitchmatthews.com/rock-thomas/
Melissa Johnson-Matthews: “Being Bi-Lingual in the 5 Love Languages” https://mitchmatthews.com/being-bilingual/
TWENTY Really Good Questions: https://mitchmatthews.com/245/
The THREE Questions that Change Everything: https://mitchmatthews.com/7-the-3-questions-that-change-everything/
MORE ON THE How to WIN More EPISODE:
Researchers debate a little on this… but people who dive deep on this say that we have somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 thoughts a day.
We’re aware of some… not aware of others… BUT as you can imagine… our self-talk is CRITICAL! So… we have to get intentional about this!
As a “recovering-worrier” I know alllllll about this! If we’re not careful: We can lose the day… even before it starts. We need a better way to be INTENTIONAL about our thought life. So we can WIN the day more. That is what we’re digging into today.
It’s a simple acronym that helps us be INTENTIONAL about our inner-thought life… and the decisions we’re making on a day-to-day basis.
Made up of some of my favorite coaching questions… put into a specific order.
Here are the elements:
What does success look like?
- What does success look like for today?
- What does success look like for my business in 5 years?
- What does success look like for me as a dad?
- What does success look like for this meeting?
- What does success look like for dinner with my family tonight?
- What does success look like for this Saturday?
Question for THEM (TEAMS/OTHERS):
- What does success look like for them?
- What does success look like for this meeting?
- What does success look like for our vacation?
Questions for YOU when it comes to OTHERS::
- How do you want to treat them?
- What do you want people to experience around you?
How do I/we want to experiment to achieve this?
noun: experiment; plural noun: experiments
- a scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis or demonstrate a known fact.
EXPERIMENT COACHING QUESTIONS:
- What do I/we want to try?
- What’s a small but significant step I/we could take?
- How could we improve this incrementally?
- How could we tweak it to make it better this time?
A QUICK SHOUT OUT TO DREAM THINK DOers who are contributing reviews, sharing and commenting!!!
New Reviews on Apple Podcasts:
SOCIAL MEDIA SHOUT OUT from Jess Dahl
COMMENTS on the SITE:
www.MitchMatthews.com/333 – George Xanthis
www.MitchMatthews.com/334 Finding Adventure!
How do I/we want to evaluate this?
EVALUATE COACHING QUESTIONS:
- What worked?
- What would I do again?
- What would I want to change?
- What’s something I learned?
- What do I want to try next time?
- What’s something I want to remember when I do this again?
How do I want to remind myself I’m committed?
- Calendar blocks
- Involve other people
Example from Mel and my world!
Review the elements again.
Point them to Parkinson’s Law!
This process could take 5 hours… and in the beginning… it will take longer. BUT remember “Parkinson’s Law:”
“A task expands to fill the time it’s given.”
So… you can do a version of this in 5 minutes… as you start your day… and end your day… as you get ready for a meeting… and as you create a vision for you life.
Taking the elements of the S.P.E.E.D. approach can make all the difference!
When I teach on this… people will sometimes ask… “Where does prayer fit into this?” The added BONUS of the S.P.E.E.D. approach can also be a prayer. How cool is THAT? For those of you who LOVE prayer and for those of you who are curious about prayer… and/or anyone in between… have at it and see where it takes you!
That’s one way I’ve adapted S.P.E.E.D. So… how about you? How do YOU want to apply it? Where are you already using questions like these? What’s working for you? What’s something small but significant you’re going to try as the result of listening in? Leave a comment below and let me know. I can’t wait to hear from YOU!
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 If you want to WIN more, this episode’s for you
- 2:16 Episode starts
- 4:45 Let’s talk about S.P.E.E.D
- 8:40 What does success look like?
- 13:19 P is for people
- 17:39 The freedom in experimenting
- 19:53 Shout out to a few Dream Think Do-ers!
- 24:00 What every great experiment must have
- 29:23 How Mitch is living this acronym out practically
- 40:39 A refresher on Parkinson’s law