07 Sep 332: From FREE to FEE – 5 Keys to becoming a PAID Speaker
You asked for it… so I’m digging into it! How do you go from being “interested in becoming a speaker” to actually being PAID to be a speaker? It’s not easy… (run from anyone who tells you it is) BUT the steps to get there are a lot clearer than you might imagine.
In today’s episode, we’re going to get you the 5 keys to becoming a PAID speaker!
The EXTRA good news is that ANYONE can start to implement these steps IMMEDIATELY! So, if you’ve got a message that’s burning in you… something you know would help people… something that could make an impact… then THIS episode is for YOU!
We’ll show you a clear-cut 1-2-3-4-5 step path to start speaking more AND increase your chances of being paid well as you do! And hey… it’s DREAM THINK DO… so I’ll share some stories from MY journey too!
NEXT LEVEL SPEAKER – LIVE – 2022
Click here to find out more about Mitch’s NEXT LEVEL SPEAKER – LIVE… October 8th-10th!
Are you a speaker who wants to take your IMPACT and your INCOME to the next level? Join Mitch in Des Moines for an EPIC experience… that will allow you to leap forward as you’re growing your speaker business!
It will be a 3-day event that will allow you to:
- Take your PHOTOS to the next level!
- Take your BRANDING to the next level!
- Take your SPEAKING to the next level!
- And… take your SPEAKER FEES to the next level too!
Plus, it will be 3 days with Mitch, his team and an INCREDIBLE group of people in two inspiring venues!
It will truly be a life-changing and business-growing opportunity! Find out more and join us!
Grab your User Guide PDF HERE!
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES AND PAST EPISODES TO HELP:
Breaking the Fear of Public Speaking with Felicia Slattery: www.mitchmatthews.com/174
Make YOUR Stories Stick with Kindra Hall: www.mitchmatthews.com/235
8 Secrets for Beating the Fear of Public Speaking - Deep Dive with Mitch - www.mitchmatthews.com/076
Find out more about Toast Masters here: www.toastmasters.org
MORE ABOUT THE 5 KEYS TO BECOMING A PAID SPEAKER EPISODE:
While I was on sabbatical… I’d asked YOU… the DREAM THINK DO family… about what you’d like me to dig into once I got back. I listed off a number of themes and topics:
- Entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial mindset
- Speaking and building a speaking business
- Podcasting and growing YOUR OWN podcast
- Coaching and mentoring
SPECIFIC (or more general) TOPICS:
- Faith in the workplace and “real world” convos about that stuff
- How do you get back up… when you’re knocked down
- How do you have the guts to go after a big idea
- Time management in an era when no one seems to have boundaries
- Really cool people with really inspiring stories
- AND/OR… YOUR suggestions too
Well… I heard from you and one of the big areas that many of you wanted to hear about was “Speaking and building a Speaking Business.”
I wanted to go after that right away… so we’re digging in today!
5 Keys to go from “FREE” to “FEE” as a Successful (and profitable) Speaker.
So, let's get into the 5 Keys!
Key 1: START!
It’s not a surprise, but when people ask me about the best ways to get started as a Speaker… my response is always short, sweet, accurate and to the point. I say, “Get started!”
It’s not a throw-away answer. It's the absolute truth. The best way to start… is to start.
“START where you are. Use what you have. DO what you can.” - Arthur Ashe
In the episode, I share some of my “humble beginnings” stories but I also explain how those speaking events… where it felt no one was looking… led to my first paid gig with a Fortune 100 company!
Key 2: Create a Tangible Talk
That’s right. Before you ever get paid… get started by creating a talk. In the episode, I explain why… but I also introduce you to the strategy of Creating an Idea Map.
(Make sure to download the Participant Guide… above. It will give you an example of what I’m talking about!)
Key 3: Deliver that Tangible Talk
Once you have your tangible talk… find ways to deliver it. We’ll talk about ways to do it AND I’ll share a story of how giving a “free” talk in a public library led to a $20K gig!
“Getting STARTED gets you needed practice and it gets you into what we call “The Speaker Jet Stream!”
- Mitch Matthews
KEY 4: Know The Process!
This was something that was totally in my blind spot! I didn’t know the process for being selected as a speaker for bigger events and stages. And since I didn’t know… I wasn’t confident. And Event Planners and Selection Committees could pick up on it… so I didn’t get the opportunities.
BUT once I started to understand the process… and more important… the BIGGEST concern of decision-makers (which surprised me)... I was able to secure the types of stages and events I’d hoped for!
KEY 5: Create a ______ - __________!
You're going to have to listen to the episode to get the answer to THIS one.
BUT... once you know it... the answer make it easy for Search Committees to SELL you to the final decision-makers.
Having a solid "one" of these will also help you get all your KEY marketing in place! So don't miss this key takeaway!
5 Keys to Becoming a PAID Speaker Episode MINUTE BY MINUTE:
- 0:02 - You asked, I’m going for it! What topic we are talking about today.
- 1:34 - Conversations tarts
- 3:23 - Let’s talk about public speaking
- 7:00 - If you want to be a speaker, this parts for you!
- 14:00 - Where to start
- 16:02 - Where to test your talk
- 17:55 - What an idea map is and why you need it
- 22:00 - The real power behind stories
- 28:33 - You have to put in the reps
- 35:50 - The perks of hosting your own event
- 46:15 - Two things you need to impress any search committee
- 53:33 - 5-key recap
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What stood out to you? What’s something small but significant you are going to try? Let me know by dropping a comment below. I want to hear from you!
- Maybe it’s just giving yourself permission to START!
- Maybe it’s putting together a talk on a subject you LOVE.
- Maybe it’s scheduling a space to give that talk.
- Maybe it’s reaching out to organizations who might need your help and your message!
- And hey… one step would simply be to comment below and say, “I’m IN! I’m going to START!”
Whatever it is… BIG or small… BOLD or more subtle… take a step.
I can’t wait to hear from you… because… I know the world needs to hear from YOU! (You’ve got wisdom and stories in you the world needs!!! So let’s do this!) Amen?